Thursday 13 March 2014

Dulwich Picture Gallery

Yesterday we had a fantastic day at Dulwich Picture Gallery. Following a lovely sunny walk through the park, we arrived at the gallery to learn about Ancient Greek art.


We looked at some beautiful paintings by Poussin, which were painted in the 17th Century, but were in the style of Roman and Ancient Greek paintings. We each chose a detail from one of the paintings to draw.


We took our drawings back to the studio, where we used egg tempera paint to complete our artwork in the style of the Ancient Greeks. Ben told us that the Ancient Greeks thought that there were 4 primary colours, can you remember what they were?


Our paintings had to be completed using only these four colours, which was quite tricky and involved lots of concentration to mix the colours we needed.


The exciting part of the morning was making our own paint! We discovered that Ancient painters found their colours in plants, rocks, rust and even burnt mummies! Some children were asked to use a pestle and mortar to crunch up charcoal into powder, then some other children spread the colour onto glass tiles. Then things got a bit slimy, as we had to break and separate eggs, so that we could pop the yolk to use to bind our paint together.

 

It was another wonderful trip to Dulwich Picture Gallery! What did you think? What did you enjoy? Can you remember what those four primary colours in Ancient Greece were?






16 comments:

RODERICK said...

I loved my painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antonio said...

The trip was AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evelyn said...

they look brilliant

Molly said...

I really liked that trip I loved the paintings by Nicole Poussin

ella said...

The four primary colours we used were red, yellow, black, and white.
I think the visit might have been my favourite so far!

Aisling said...

I really enjoyed painting,I did a painting of a god.It was super fun.

Theadora said...

I loved going to Duwlich picture gallery we did some amazing artwork

aimee said...

I loved the art gallery it was so fun
I loved it.

KATE said...

The gallery was very fun

SONNY said...

WOW!!! Those look AMAZING!!!

michael said...

I loved the trip it was cool

LUKE said...

BEAUTIFUL DRAWINGS!

alice said...

i loved doing the paintings and me and Nathan made nice coulers

JSEPH said...

The painting look AMAZING

hana said...

dear miss benn I like the trip my favourite was painting a picture of lady

Daniel said...

It look fun going the, my class went aswell

Post a Comment