Friday 10 May 2013

The Eagle



I gave the children this jumbled up 'Wordle' version of The Eagle by Lord Alfred Tennyson. I didn't show them the original poem, instead I asked them to write their own poem called 'The Eagle' using the words in the wordle cloud. Some children added a few extra words of their own, but many managed to write a poem using only Tennyson's words.

Here are some of the wonderful poems written by St. George's Class:

The Eagle
 
He watches the azure sea from a crooked crag,
Like a thunderbolt,
He clasps the mountain with his wrinkled hands,
He watches the world as the sun falls beneath the lands,
He is lonely and wrinkled,
He watches the walls of the sea,
And closes his eyes.
 
By Ella F.
 
 
The Eagle
 
He glides over the azure sea,
He kills a fish like a thunderbolt,
He crawls up a mountain from the sea,
He lands on the crooked mountain,
He is lonely on the mountain,
He lands on the tree and stands up tall,
He flies as high as the sun,
 
What is he?
 
By Antonio
 
 
The Eagle
 
He crawls lonely on the lands,
The bright yellow crooked beak,
He watches the sun fall,
The azure sea crashes on the mountain,
A thunderbolt crashes close to the world,
Beneath him is a mountain,
He is lonely as he watches the bright sun,
He flies over the azure sea.
 
By Nathan



Here is the original poem:


The Eagle
 
He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring’d with the azure world, he stands.
 
The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.
 
By Lord Alfred Tennyson

5 comments:

Reid NZ said...

I really like that way of using the wordle, I showed my class some poems on Autumn but hadn't thought of doing it this way. I love the way the class has responded with their poems.

Chelsea said...

When you first gave the sheet to me Miss Benn,I thought it was really complex at first.Afterwards when I did my own poem I thought it was alot easier.

luke said...

i like doing the eagle poem cause the words were mixed

marielle said...

I love writing poems and listening to poems like,Michael Rosen's choclate cake.I also like writing limercks from Michael Rosen.

michael said...

I like this poem because it has good word's.

Post a Comment